Monday, May 30, 2011

Spiders, Ants, Ticks and Fleas

My son seems to be scared of a lot of things. Some examples include Swiper from Dora the Explorer, some episodes of Curious George, some Veggietales episodes, just to name a few.

So when my four year old son informed me that he was scared of "Spiders, ants, fleas and ticks" I knew something had to be done about it. (Grandpa had told him about a spray can that he had - which is where that list of insects came from).

Little did I know that God was going to use my son's various fears to help me understand a portion of scripture. As I mentioned in my last post, I have been thinking about the portion in scripture that states "Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it". Never entering the kingdom of God... pretty important verse if you ask me.

The part that I was wondering was how does a child receive the kingdom of God? That's where my son's story helped me to understand this more.

The other morning, my son went to use the restroom in our basement, but he stopped dead in his tracks the second he saw a spider in there. I tried telling him that the spider wouldn't hurt him, but he still wouldn't go in. I even disposed of the spider, but he was still frozen in fear.

Then I thought, why don't we pray together about it? Kneeling on the floor (as I was already kneeling from disposing of the spider) we had a nice short prayer - asking God to help us not be afraid. Just like that, my son was 100% comfortable with entering the restroom.

Ah... so that's how a child receives the kingdom of God... if you pray for something that is within God's will, it happens. No second thoughts about it - God will do what he says.

Thank you God, for helping me to understand.

1 comment: