Friday, May 06, 2011

The first date...

Probably not a lot of people know much about how Heidi and I met. In 2001, Heidi and I were attending the same church (which we both still attend today). I knew of Heidi through a mutual friend at the time. It turned out that Heidi and I both signed up for a missions trip to Uzbekistan. At the time, neither of us had heard of the "stan" countries. When it came time to raise funds for the trip, Heidi and I decided we would go together to try and raise money from local businesses. I'll never forget the moment I went to pick up Heidi to drive to the local businesses. I was driving a large 2 seater white cargo van. I was wearing an older shirt and shorts. Boy did I ever feel funny when Heidi answered the door of her parents house. She was dressed very nicely - after all, we were going to be asking businesses for money together! When she opened the door her hair swooshed in the wind. I probably stood there stunned.

We went out to collect money. It was a disaster! Barely any funds were raised despite our best efforts. To celebrate our (lack of) accomplishments we decided to have dinner together. And so it began.

Several months later, Heidi and I were at one of my co-workers / friends house. We were having a barbecue together and were preparing the meal. I for some reason had been cutting carrots, while everyone else was busy with other preparations. I remember very clearly Heidi walking up to me and asking if I had a flashlight. I froze. Heidi, seeing that I didn't respond, continued on her search for a flashlight. I could hear her asking throughout the house "do you have a flashlight?". Now normally these events wouldn't be worthy to capture in a blog 10 years later. However in this case, an event had taken place roughly a year and a half earlier that made this rather insignificant event something extraordinary.

During my "wandering" stage, where I was staying up until 4am in the morning each night, I thought I had met someone interesting and who I could be with on the internet. This girl suggested that I pray basically for a sign to confirm this. In my immaturity, I for some reason prayed that someone would use the word flashlight, and then I would know it was meant to be. Strange prayer - I even thought so at the time I prayed it - but nonetheless, that would be my "sign".

After a few weeks passed it became obvious that it wasn't meant to be. I didn't hear the word flashlight, plus I could no longer find this lady friend on the internet anymore. A few more months passed, and still no flashlight. In fact, so much time had passed I had forgotten all about that silly prayer or the fact that I didn't hear this random word in everyday language - until a year and a half later while I'm cutting carrots in the kitchen. I cried as I was overcome with joy. God had once again answered my prayer, and it was a sure sign that Heidi was set aside for me, and I for her.

We would later marry a year later in October 2002. (I decided to give the men in my wedding party a flashlight as their gift as a reminder of what God had done for us).

Coming up next - our first year together.

No comments:

Post a Comment