Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Here, try on these Jesus glasses

Originally I was going to write about my first year of marriage, but I think going that route would take me away from what I was originally intending this blog to be about. Instead, I'd like to talk about the 10+ years following my decision to follow Jesus. I'd like to share with you what I have learned over this last year since I started wearing my God glasses.

Since September 12, 1999 I have experienced a lot of changes in my life. The strange part though is that the majority of these changes took place either immediately or shortly after I accepted Jesus and decided to live for Him.

I believe I have missed he point for a long time now, but have started to realize once again what my role is as a follower.

For the longest time I felt uncomfortable in my own skin so to say. For example, how am I to react if a non-Christian uses the Lord's name in vain? How am I to treat the people I know who are living in same-sex relationships? What should I do if my co-workers are talking about events that took place on the weekend? What should I do if the public school system decides to ban the distribution of the Bible by the Gideon's organization?

My example for the longest time were the people attend church - my church glasses. While wearing these glasses I found is that many people would be offended, angered, protesting, attempting to change the legal system, etc.

This last summer I learned a lot about what the Bible says on how I should be living my life, which happens to provide me guidance on all of these areas, and this is where I found my God glasses.

Here is what I learned about God glasses.

Jesus was asked, "What is the greatest commandment?". The answer? Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. Secondly, love your neighbour as yourself. Simple, yet extremely profound.

So what does it mean to love? According to the Bible, love is he following:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, is not rude, is not self seeking, is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrong. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres. Love never fails. Knowledge puffs up but love builds up.

In every one of the situations mentioned above I am called to love.

I believe that since I had not been living by these commandments that I have done a poor job of showing people who Jesus is and asked of his followers, because I have failed to love.

I am not to show my obvious sign of disgust when a non-Christian uses the Lord's name in vain;I am called to love.
I'm not to protest for or against same sex marriages; I am called to love.
I am not to ask my co-workers to stop talking about their weekend events; I am called to love.
I am not to proclaim that "Canada is a Christian country. How dare they remove Bibles from a public school system!"; I am called to love.

I have learned a lot about my own marriage while viewing my actions through these God glasses. I have a tough time justifying my actions when comparing those actions against the definition of love.

Looking at every situation through this love lens will teach you a lot about who Jesus is and what he went through and will also make it a lot easier to discuss and live out the Gospel.

2 comments:

  1. I think Jesus was a hippie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus was definitely an interesting person, breaking the social norms of his day.

    ReplyDelete