Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The church is like... a healthy lawn?

They grow without effort, are colourful, and flourish in the harshest of environments, and they drive me nuts. Weeds. My nearly four year old son knows that a dandelion is a weed, yet he still likes to pick them and tell me that he has "a flower for mommy". I cringe, and force myself to realize that this is supposed to be cute, but in reality, I can't help but think that I don't want the seeds getting into my lawn.

Last week, while reading the parable in Matthew chapter 13, I was reminded that Jesus talked about how the weeds were mixed in with the wheat, and that if the weeds were to be removed it would also remove the wheat. This piece of scripture was talking about the judgment day, where the followers of Christ would be separated from the non-believers.

The next day after reading this parable I had found myself uprooting the various weeds from my lawn, and I thought to myself, I don't let the weeds grow with the grass - is there still a way that I could relate this story to my weed-removing adventure?

Last night while having a great discussion with a friend of mine I came across the analogy. The best way to prevent weeds in a lawn is to have a healthy lawn. When the lawn isn't healthy, then the weeds will take over.

I wonder if the same can be said of a church - if a church isn't healthy, do the weeds start coming in?

No comments:

Post a Comment