Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Live like the Amish or use a Megaphone?

For the last little while I have been thinking a lot of how to approach the topic of Jesus with those I come into contact with. Am I to immediately jump to that topic, or simply, let my life be an example?

While I haven't reached a conclusion yet - mostly because I want to read more about this topic in the Bible first - I have started to gather my thoughts on the topic. As a Christian, I know I am to share the Gospel (Good News) through all the earth - and what good news it is! However, I also think about how Jesus talked to those around him about heavenly things.

The message to me seems pretty simple. God loves us. A lot. Sacrificed his own life for us - even though we should be considered his enemy. Says a lot about his character. In fact, the more I try to live in the "love is" and "love does not"'s I start to see how awesome my God really is.

So how do I share this with others?

As of this moment, I really believe that first and foremost I am to live this way myself. They will know us (Christians) by our love. But what does that mean? That's where I believe I am to live out the "love is patient / kind / not envious / not proud / not boastful / not rude / not self-seeking / not easily angered / keeps no record of wrong / not delight in evil / rejoices in the truth / always protects / trusts / hopes / perseveres / never fails" kind of love. I get this from the greatest and second greatest commandments. My current belief is that if I live this way, more people will be attracted to me, or maybe not so much me, but the Holy Spirit who I am allowing to work through me - which then allows for an open discussion about the things of God.

I can say for certain - I simply do not feel like I am the same person from even 3 months ago. I have a very long way to go to be sure, but, as I keep trying to love others the way God loves me the more I feel connected to God.

Do you have thoughts about how to approach the topic of Jesus to others? Are there versus that stick out in your mind when I mention this topic? I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment