Monday, December 05, 2011

Ethics and the Professional Role

This last semester I have been taking a class at Conestoga College, called Ethics and the Professional Role. I'm taking this as part of the Adult Learning program as I'm working towards an Ontario Certificate. When I first enrolled for the class, I couldn't think of how it would relate to my life. As the course went on however I realized how following the Bible allows for me to develop my own Code of Ethics. Tomorrow I will be going through and formally writing my personal Code of Ethics as an assignment. I have in the meanwhile thought about how the ethics taught within the Bible apply directly to my life. Most people in the class that I have talked to have never thought of a Personal Code of Ethics. When I look at my life, I realize how much of my own ethical standards have already been developed (and how far I am from achieiving said ethics). One of the first steps towards creating the ethics is determining who the stakeholders are: your spouse, your family, your friends, your parents, siblings, enemies, strangers, etc. Each time I think of one of these groups I think about how the Bible teaches me to act towards them. In a blanket statement, I am to love them all, using the definition of love that I have previously written about. Additionally, there are other passages that relate to each one. I can't think of where they are off hand, but tomorrow I'll be going through each one of these to see how I am to treat each of these takeholders. Some examples I can think of is "Honour your mother and father", "treat women who are younger than you as your own sister", "Treat women who are older than you as your own mother", "pray for your enemies", "Love your neighbour", etc. Anyway, it will be an interesting assignment and I believe I will learn a lot by going through it.

1 comment:

  1. Jason, as one who knows you through your dealings with those at work, I can attest to the fact that you do a great job of living to a higher standard.

    ReplyDelete