Friday, June 17, 2011

Whining is not loving

It is the reason why I should be satisfied for not winning an argument with my wife about what I would like to do with my time, why I should be eating healthy, and why I should be happy to concede to do what God wants me to do rather than what I would prefer to do.

Love is... not self-seeking.

In my opinion, out of all the attributes about love found in 1st Corinthians 13 it is the most difficult one to live by. It gets me every time.

I found over the last year that when I argue with my wife I find that if I live by this love attribute then the argument quickly gives way. Any time I'm headed down the road of "I want..." I am running in opposition with "love is not self-seeking". In my mind, the only time the "I want" statement wins out over someone else's "I want" is when the other person is wanting something that God would not want. In this situation, the greatest commandment wins because we are to love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength which will trump the second commandment of "love your neighbour as yourself".

Anytime I start eating too much food or the improper foods I believe I am also being self-seeking. This is a great struggle for me, as I seem to eat way too much of the wrong foods. Desiring bad food because it tastes good is in my mind self-seeking because I'm looking to satisfy my own desires. This is going to be an area I hope to address sooner rather than later.

I have found that inconveniencing myself for the sake of others (and especially God) is a great way for others (and God) to know that you love them, and when I do so, I believe I'm living out the first and second greatest commandments.

No comments:

Post a Comment